Sunday, January 13, 2008

And I retract....

I went back to Tasek this morning. Mainly to give my body another challenge. The last hill, they say, is steeper than the 9th hill of Shahbandar. Also to figure what happened last week, I needed to know why and how I got lost.

This time I didn't go alone.

I was astonished to see the flight of stairs going downhill on the right, which took us back to the starting point of the trail.
I didn't see it last week. The trail is visible with ropes down on both sides. A small bench 2 metres before the 'turning point' acts as the indicator. The bench is a resting point for those having taken the opposite direction. It is a steep climb, down or up.

I must have subconsciously panicked last week when I lost my 'marker.' In trying to catch up with him, I ran the trail as fast as I could. I have this fear of forest; and when I didn't see anyone in sight, I must have focused my vision on the track and not elsewhere. Between running and 'tunnel visioning', I missed that turning point.

I know the direction now. But having gone through the trail this morning, I wouldn't attempt it alone. It's a beautiful route: rock formations, serene forest and when you reach the bottom it feels like you're walking inside a cocoon but that made out of bamboo. Beautiful scenery. Though, the 'valley' is deep; not advisable for women to go on their own. Unless you are extremely fit, and you surely can outrun a wild boar.

The last uphill did challenge my unfit heart. The work out turned anaerobic, and I had to stop a couple of times. But I thoroughly enjoyed it. I must thank the forestry department, the park authorities, in making this place accessible to us the public.
STILL, I would suggest them to put coloured and visible labels for directions.

No comments: