Wednesday, June 4, 2008

BALI-bur

Now this is another quick log.

Me surfing on tiny waves and
so UNcool wearing a helmet! Damn!

Bali was great last week. I learnt to surf. Manage to stand up (ofcourse with a beginner surfboard). I've the photos to prove them (dare I put them in here? Maybe not. Not with my face identified, just in facebook perhaps). Didn't matter, it was fun, and I got addicted to learning to surf. I have every intention to purchase a surf board and to go back to Bali for another surfing holiday. I will. I wish we've the waves for this. I could get a hang of this game.



Kuta Beach

Kuta was happening - we stayed for 5 nights there. Didn't dare go clubbing, haha. The bombsite was enough to dampen the spirit to boogie all night. But, we did see Cokelat at Hard Rock. Awesome. But Digital Band got me appreciating TRASH metal for once. The bass and lead, the drum roll were incredible. I was ready to purchase their CDs, but ofcourse at 60,000 RPH for a CD at the retail got me thinking of home, and pirate CD copies at Kadai Komunis. Should I buy or should I not? Ethics aside, at almost $10 it is a bit steep. I'm one of those who try get things for free if possible. Typical Bruneians? Not really. Regardless the nationality, we all seek for the cheapest deal. I've friends from England who'd take every opportunity to buy pirate CDs/VCDs/DVDs when they are in Asia. Who would not. Why should we feel guilty? For they make millions of dollars/pounds already. Maybe not the newcomers, but who knows about these newcomers anyway? Who watch them? We usually buy those with established names, and they are the one with the millions. So no harm done, really. Ofcourse, we make the pirate operators happy. Well, I'm happy, too. So what difference does it make. Well, plenty of difference, actually. If we think about it. I'm not going to talk about that now. I don't intend to make this log a guilt-making session. Cause I am on leave. I am FREE. I should try be free in all aspect, including guilt-FREE.


Tepi Sawah Villa and Spa

Anyway. We stayed in Ubud, the first 3 nights. Lovely place. Tranquil. Perfect for a romantic getaway. Haha. If you take that opportunity any way. Not to say we didn't ;) Stayed at Tepi Sawah Villa and Spa. Our room (Batuan Villa - cheapest of all) has a beautiful view of the sawah padi. Highly recommended, except its breakfast was pretty monotonous. The same thing almost everyday. But whatever it is, the place is awesome.




Gunung Batur

On our way back to Kuta, spent a whole day out touring. Enjoyed a morning Barung Dance by Batu Bulan villagers. Late lunch on Kintamani by Batur Volcano (lunch wasn't great, but view was amazing). Visited an 11th Century Hindu temple - Goa Gajah and Bali's holy spring - the Tirta Empul. (Damn, can't put a lot of pics here due to identifiable features. Sorry!)


Sunset at Jimbaran
They say don't leave a romantic getaway without a sunset dinner at Jimbaran. Beautiful seafood and tropical juices they claimed (a whole load of crap! If I want proper seafood, I'd still say Dragon Seafood Restaurant on Jln Baram in Miri just 15 minutes away from Marriot is the best. Unless you are in Bangkok). We did head to Jimbaran on our final night. The sunset is awesome. But they don't set on the horizon (neither the sunset at Kuta). I'd say Jerudong sunset is as beautiful or even better (so stay at The Empire Hotel main building if you are looking for a gorgeous sundown).


Bali was great, and I'd go there again. For the various 'S' holiday: Sun, Sea, Sand, Surf, and whatever S you like to include in there. RBA doesn't fly there anymore, so Air Asia is our next bet. Oops. I got to go. I've to run to our beautiful resort, the one with the gorgeous view of Punyit Isle. I hope it'll be fun. I'm not committed to talk, cause I'm on leave. It's enough to observe. Listening is what I do best, these days.



No comments: