Friday, August 21, 2009

Are we a racist nation?

Travelled to Singapore very recently. Hubby and I.

On our way in to the departure hall, one Indian guy got stopped by the security guy. He pointed out to the Asian guy his hand luggage was over 7kg. Poor guy had to go back I guess to his friends to sort it out before being refused entry again.

Ironically, hubby and I weren't stop. Nor were other local fellows, Chinese or Malays. Yup, just that Indian guy. I am not making assumptions, but I felt it was purely racial discrimination.

That's not the only time I encountered such discrimination. I was queueing to be seen by an immigration officer at Berakas. There were a few foreign workers sitting waiting for their turns as well. One local lady staff went out and called out a name (filipino name) pointed at her and called her to come in by fore-finger gesture. Very rude in deed.

I'm patriotic, but I think there is a fine line on how to treat others. We are malays and moslems, too. Melayu-Islam sepatutnya penuh bersopan dan menghormati orang lain. It's sad when we have no respect for other races. Malay supremacy ??? We know that's BS.

1 comment:

bizzy said...

An interesting article indeed. Surprisingly, myself & hubby witnessed the same scenario last year on which an Indian guy was stopped from entering the departure entrance at the Brunei airport due to his 'so-called' heavy hand luggage.

Yes..ironically, others queuing behind him just passed through the doors without any problems from the security guard eventhough from my point of view are carrying much bigger & supposed to be much heavier bags.

Another incident happened to myself & spouse about six years ago while registering ourselves for the identity cards at the Immigration department. Being expats here, absolutely our dressing & the way we talk differs from the locals. We enquired politely at the reception as to the procedures & forms needed for applying an Identity card & sadly to say, this lady just reply to us rudely in a high voice ridiculing us as if we are illiterate or something..not forgetting there are others queuing behind us. Ironically, after discovering (from our passports) that we are Singaporeans..she immediately treated us nicely with much politeness and respect. Just wondering...why such a sudden change in her behavior..could be, initially she thought we are Filipinos or Indonesians..but why the discrimination. I've been told many times that Bruneians are nice, polite individuals but why is this happening especially in the 'front line' serving the public sector. Its sad that these small groups of 'bad apples' are actually spoiling the image of Brunei Darussalam.

Alhamdulillah, I am glad that in all the years of stay here with my family, I actually met many nicer locals which some have becoming close friends and confidante.