Thursday, February 14, 2008

Used and abused

I had a conversation with my dear friend yesterday lunch. I bcc-ed her an e-mail cc-ed to me, and mentioned the text message I gotten from a boss of another unit in the last few days, which I thought was weird. (Unethical me?)

No, I don't have problems in helping colleagues, if it meant doing good for the organization. But I don't like the style. This person has been doing this for an umpteenth times to me. Many times for ideas on last minute tasks. Never formally, always via text or knocking my door. After a while, I learnt to say no with lots of excuses. Then it stopped.

Out of the blue, recently, t
here was a business offer suggested by this person. My initial reaction: must be some kind of bait. Then again I thought, why not give this person the benefits of the doubt. Maybe this person is sincere. But I should have trusted my instinct, cause history repeats itself.

What's funny is the way this person approach me with this urgent project. First an e-mail, but not meant for me. I only got a cc. No request for my help at all. Then hours later a phone text message, meaning an unofficial request. I don't understand why not simply write that official e-mail asking for my assistance as well.

I really don't know if I am being used and abused. I'm trying to see people's positive side. But will that mean I am in denial? I hate making judgments, but I can't help it either. My close friends keep telling me to be careful. I am trying. Or am I too soft, too weak?

I can't help reflect. The old man's recent entry (Feb 10th) got me thinking harder. Is it about the recognition that I wont get by helping this colleague of mine making me skeptical of this person's intent. Do I fear this person will get all the credit for the ideas I put forth.
I do question my sincerity. If I helped this person, I should be helping the organization; so, why should it matter if I was asked formally, or if I were to work behind the scene? Or am I only human; fighting my way to get to the top of the hierarchy, and become ugly along the way. Time for integrity check.

1 comment:

The World According to Twinkle said...

What can I say but bravo my friend. You need to stand up for your self. Don't be over critical of your own intent. I know you have always the very best of intentions. Be proud of your integrity. This is what set you apart from the herds. Take it from someone who is older & wiser. Tee hee hee

A special message to the "creatures" out there, if using the technique of "using and abusing" the good will of people, colleagues and friends for you to go ahead, one word losers - go and f*** yourselves!!!